Saturday, February 26, 2011

Adventures with The Cat in the Hat

The Cat in the Hat has always held an affectionate place in my heart. It is the book I learned to read with when I was 4 years old. Having my kids enjoy it as well makes my heart smile. Don't you just love those moments where you can sense the passage of time in a moment?

I did a brief Cat in the Hat class at our homeschool co-op last trimester during a pre-hour, where we read the book every week and practiced our phonograms and rhyming words. We used different rhyming words each week from the book and the kids wrote the word families (AT, CAT, HAT, THAT, SAT, etc.) down on index cards to take home. Here's a helpful link I came across (after the class, go figure, but still a useful resource!) Cat in the Hat mini lesson. And of course there's the new pbs show, "The Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That!"

To quote the cat himself, "It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how!"

1 comment: