Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Grade Level Expectations, Year-by-Year Review & Sequence Learning

One of the most common questions: what does my child need to know when? There are some great websites and books out there to help give overviews and much-needed checklists to make sure your kids are on the right track and giving you general guidelines for what they should be learning and when. Here are some of my favorites.



"The Educated Child" by William Bennett was a favorite on my shelf long before I ever made the decision to homeschool, (including when I thought I NEVER would!) it's a parent's guide to reference during public education, but also makes a good reference for homeschoolers. Any parent looking to take an active role in their child's education should have a copy to refer to from preschool through grade eight. I can't speak highly enough for it.

Another fantastic resource is the Core Knowledge series by E.D. Hirsh, you can find all the books "What your ___-grader needs to know" at the library. Hirsh also wrote "Books to Build on: A grade-by-grade resource guide for parents and teachers."

Core Knowledge

Home Learning Year by Year is another resource for these purposes, although it's not a "checklist" format, such as the evaluation checklists included in "What your child needs to know when" which I really enjoy making use of.

No comments:

Post a Comment